Sound Walk

Various sounds coming from the 32nd Street between Broadway and Fifth Avenue, which is famously known as Korea Town, at 3 AM shows how lively New York gets during Saturday Nights. As I started to work in Manhattan, I realized the weekend for the people in Manhattan slowly pulls up starting from Thursdays and reach its peak on Saturdays. As I get off from my shift at work and exit out the building at 3 AM on a cold Saturday night, the atmosphere is non like the others; this was the moment I realized how different weekdays and weekends are in K-Town. Streets are filled with crowds that are out to spend quality time with their friends and their loved ones. Background noises are filled with conversation of drunk people on the streets talking to their friends or looking to find out where their next destination will be. I turn my head one direction, group of drunk people are screaming and yelling of happiness and joy; I turn my head the other way, I hear footsteps of people trying to pass through between the crowds. The road is filled with cars honking as trash pickup trucks are blocking the roadway which seems to be irritating the drivers behind. I soon make my way down the street trying to get to my next destination. As I walk out of the block, silence soon filled the air quickly and peace came about. Major sounds in the backgrounds are groups of people chattering and laughing as they walk down the street into the bright lights of Korea Town. This was the moment where I realized night of Manhattan on Saturday nights are sleepless.

Comments